Surrogacy Cost in Mumbai: All You Need to Know
- Surrogacy Cost in Mumbai, Surrogacy in Mumbai, Gestational Surrogacy
In recent years, surrogacy has emerged as a viable option for couples facing fertility challenges. Mumbai, with its world-class medical facilities and experienced professionals, has become a sought-after destination for surrogacy procedures. However, before considering surrogacy as an option, it is essential to understand the process, legalities, and most importantly, the cost associated with it. This article delves into the various aspects of surrogacy in Mumbai, shedding light on the factors influencing its cost.
Table Of Content
- What is Surrogacy?
- Types of Surrogacy
- The Legal Aspect of Surrogacy in Mumbai
- Factors Affecting Surrogacy Cost in Mumbai 2023-2024
- Understanding The Average Surrogacy Cost In Mumbai
- Choosing the Right Surrogacy Clinic in Mumbai
- Surrogacy Grants and Financial Assistance
- Surrogate Mother Insurance
- Egg Donor Selection Criteria According to 2023-2024 Laws
- The Emotional Journey of Surrogacy
- Tips for a Successful Surrogacy Journey
- FAQ'S (Surrogacy Cost in Mumbai 2023-2024)
Surrogacy is a reproductive arrangement wherein a woman, known as the surrogate, carries and gives birth to a child on behalf of another individual or couple, known as the intended parents. This process allows individuals or couples who cannot carry a pregnancy to term to have a biological child of their own.
There are two primary types of surrogacy procedures - Traditional Surrogacy and Gestational Surrogacy.
- Traditional Surrogacy: In traditional surrogacy, the surrogate's egg is used, making her the biological mother of the child. The surrogate is inseminated synthetically using donor or the intended father's sperm. This method is less common due to the complex legal and emotional implications involved.
- Gestational Surrogacy: Gestational surrogacy is the more prevalent method used today. In this process, the surrogate carries the embryo created from the egg and sperm of the intended parents or donors. As a result, the surrogate has no genetic connection to the child she carries.
Before proceeding with surrogacy in Mumbai, understanding the legalities and regulations surrounding the process is crucial.
- Surrogacy Laws in India: India has specific laws governing surrogacy to protect the rights of all parties involved. The Surrogacy (Regulation) Bill, 2020, regulates surrogacy, allowing only altruistic surrogacy, wherein no monetary compensation is given to the surrogate except for medical expenses.
- Rights and Responsibilities: The legal agreement between the surrogate and the intended parents outlines the rights and responsibilities of each party. This agreement must be prepared with the assistance of legal professionals to avoid any disputes later on.
The surrogacy cost in Mumbai can vary significantly due to several factors.
- Medical Procedures and Tests: The medical procedures and tests involved in the surrogacy process, such as IVF, embryo transfer, and prenatal care, contribute to a significant portion of the overall surrogacy cost in Mumbai.
- Compensation for the Surrogate: The surrogate is compensated for her time, effort, and commitment during the surrogacy journey. The compensation includes the cost of medical treatments, travel, and accommodation.
- Legal Fees and Documentation: The legal process, including drafting agreements and obtaining necessary documentation, involves additional expenses.
- Medical Facility Charges: The choice of medical facility or surrogacy clinic can also impact the overall cost. Renowned clinics with state-of-the-art facilities may have higher charges.
- Additional Expenses: Unforeseen circumstances and additional requirements during the surrogacy journey may lead to extra expenses.
Surrogacy Procedure ( Till Baby Birth )
Procedure Cost INR ( 2023 - 2024 )
Surrogacy with Self Egg
Rs. 14 Lakh to 18 Lakh
Surrogacy by donor egg
Rs. 15 Lakh to 20 Lakh
Surrogacy with donor sperms and own egg
Rs. 13 Lakh to 18 Lakh
Surrogate Mother (SM) (Cost )
Up to Rs. 6 Lakh to 8 Lakh
Up to Rs. 5 Lakh to 8 Lakh
Surrogate Mother Selection (Cost)+ Blood Tests (Cost) + Surrogate Mother Preparation (Cost)
Up to Rs. 2 Lakh to 3 Lakh
Normal Vaginal Delivery Cost
Up to Rs. 60,000 INR
Cesarean section or Delivery Cost
Up to Rs. 1 Lakh to 2 Lakh
Housing for Surrogate mother (Cost) + Food (Cost)
Up to Rs. 4 Lakh
Caretaker Costs + Cook ( Cost ) + Maid for Surrogate Mother Cost
Up to Rs. 1 Lakh
Surrogate mother Post Pregnancy Protein and Medication Cost
Up to Rs. 2 Lakh to 3 Lakh
Rs. 2 Lakh
Surrogate Mother Post Embryo Transfer Drugs Cost
Up to Rs. 30000
Donor Workup Cost
Up to Rs. 60,000 INR
Post-Preg Care/Scans Cost + Taxi and caretaker allowance Cost
Up to Rs. 10000
Embryo Storage and freezing for 6 months Cost
Up to Rs. 10000
Egg donor cost
Rs. 60,000 to 1,50,000
Egg donor insurance cost
Rs. 3,000 to 5,000
Surrogate mother insurance cost
Rs. 5,000 to 10,000
Baby DNA Report (Available after birth)
Investigation test cost
NICU Charges after Baby Birth
Rs. 1 Lakh to 6 Lakh
The overall cost of surrogacy in Mumbai can vary significantly, depending on several elements. On average, the surrogacy cost in Mumbai can range from INR 10 to 25 lakhs (approximately $13,500 to $34,000). It's essential to understand the breakdown of expenses involved in the process.
Selecting the right surrogacy clinic is crucial for a successful and positive surrogacy journey.
- Reputation and Success Rate: Research the reputation and success rate of the surrogacy clinic to ensure a reliable and efficient experience.
- Expertise and Experience of Doctors: Experienced doctors and medical professionals can provide better guidance and support throughout the process.
- Facilities and Support Services: Check the facilities and support services offered by the clinic to ensure the comfort and well-being of all parties involved.
- Patient Reviews and Testimonials: Reading patient reviews and testimonials can offer valuable insights into the clinic's performance and patient satisfaction.
The financial burden of surrogacy can be overwhelming, but there is hope for those in need. Several organizations and foundations provide surrogacy grants and financial assistance to intended parents.
- Importance of Financial Support: Surrogacy grants play a vital role in helping intended parents achieve their dream of having a child. They can alleviate some of the financial stress and make the process more accessible.
- Organizations Providing Surrogacy Grants: Various charitable organizations and non-profits are dedicated to supporting individuals and couples on their surrogacy journey. These organizations offer grants to eligible candidates.
- Eligibility Criteria for Surrogacy Grants: Eligibility requirements for surrogacy grants may vary depending on the organization. Common criteria include demonstrating financial need, undergoing medical evaluations, and providing a compelling case for why surrogacy is the chosen path to parenthood.
Surrogate Mother Insurance is a crucial element of the surrogacy journey, designed to safeguard the well-being of the surrogate mother and address potential complications during pregnancy and childbirth. Typically, it's the responsibility of the intended parents to secure comprehensive coverage that includes:
- Maternity Expenses: Encompassing all costs related to prenatal, delivery, and postnatal care for the surrogate mother.
- Complications Coverage: Providing protection against unforeseen medical issues that may arise during the pregnancy or childbirth.
- Life Insurance: Offering essential financial support to the surrogate's family in the unfortunate event of her passing.
- Legal Support: Including coverage for legal expenses associated with disputes or complications, creating a comprehensive safety net throughout the surrogacy process.
In the context of egg donation in 2023-2024, several important legal criteria have been established to ensure the selection of suitable donors while prioritizing safety and ethical standards. These regulations have been put in place to optimize outcomes for all parties involved.
- One-Time Lifetime Donation: A significant change in egg donation dynamics is the rule allowing an individual to donate eggs only once in their lifetime. This law, enacted in 2023-2024, aims to protect donors from potential physical and emotional strains by preventing them from overcommitting to the process. It ensures that donors are not unduly burdened.
- Marital Status: The legislation now requires egg donors to be legally married. This condition fosters a stable and supportive environment for both the donor and the potential child. It signifies the donor's readiness to provide a nurturing atmosphere for their own family and the recipient family.
- Previous Childbirth: The 2023-2024 laws mandate that egg donors must have previously given birth to at least one child. This requirement ensures that donors have firsthand knowledge of the physical and emotional aspects of childbirth and motherhood. It helps in selecting donors who can empathize with the recipient couple's journey and provide practical guidance.
Apart from the financial aspects, the emotional journey of surrogacy is equally significant.
- Counselling and Emotional Support: Seeking counseling and emotional support during the process can be beneficial for all parties involved.
- Building a Bond with the Surrogate: Creating a positive and understanding bond with the surrogate can lead to a smoother and more rewarding experience.
- Involving the Intended Parents: Active involvement of the intended parents in the surrogacy journey can create a strong connection with the child.
Consider these tips for a successful surrogacy journey:
- Patience and Positivity: Patience and positivity are essential virtues during the surrogacy process, which can sometimes be unpredictable.
- Legal Consultation and Agreement: Seek legal consultation and draft a comprehensive agreement to ensure legal protection for all parties.
- Open Communication: Maintain open and honest communication with the surrogate to foster a healthy relationship.
- Preparing for Parenthood: Prepare emotionally and practically for parenthood during the surrogacy journey.
Surrogacy offers hope and happiness to individuals and couples struggling with fertility issues. Mumbai's reputation for excellent medical facilities and affordable costs has made it a preferred destination for surrogacy procedures. By understanding the process, legalities, and costs involved, intended parents can embark on a successful surrogacy journey.
Q: Who can opt for surrogacy in Mumbai?
A: Surrogacy may be an option for couples or individuals who are unable to conceive naturally due to medical reasons or have experienced repeated IVF failures. Same-sex couples and single parents may also consider surrogacy.
Q: What are the types of surrogacy available in Mumbai?
A: In Mumbai, you can opt for traditional surrogacy, where the surrogate uses her eggs, or gestational surrogacy, where the embryo is created using the eggs and sperm of the intended parents or donors.
Q: How do I find a surrogate in Mumbai?
A: You can find a surrogate in Mumbai through surrogacy agencies, fertility clinics, or private arrangements. It's essential to work with a reliable and reputable organization to ensure a smooth surrogacy journey.
Q: What are the legal requirements for surrogacy in Mumbai?
A: As surrogacy laws can change, it's crucial to check the latest regulations. In the past, certain requirements included: the intended parents must be heterosexual, married for at least two years, and have a valid medical reason for surrogacy. However, these rules might have evolved.
Q: Are there any age restrictions for intended parents in Mumbai surrogacy?
A: Age restrictions may vary based on the clinics or agencies, but generally, intended parents are required to be of legal age and fit to raise a child.
Q: What medical tests are required for intended parents and surrogates?
A: Both the intended parents and surrogates typically undergo comprehensive medical and psychological assessments to ensure they are physically and mentally prepared for the surrogacy process.